Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
Daily Crime and Information Report

Issued by the Media Relations Office,
Public Information Officer Deputy Becky Herrin

Click here to read press releases on other Sheriff's Office events and occurrences


November 26, 2008

Three arrested for boat, motor theft

Stock Island - Sheriff's detectives arrested three people Tuesday, charging them in connection with the theft of a boat and motor.

The 14 foot boat with a 25 hp Johnson engine attached were reported stolen November 3rd from the water behind a residence in Sunset Harbor Trailer Park. On November 8th, the boat was recovered, abandoned at the Barcelona Drive boat ramp on Big Coppitt Key. The motor was missing from the boat.

On November 21st, Deputy Martin Malone received information the motor was a boat docked behind a home on El Monte Lane, Big Coppitt Key. Detective Juan Llera, who was assigned to investigate the case, responded to that location and did, indeed, find the motor there. The owner of the boat told the detective his friend, 18 year old Felix Valle, had given him the motor. Further investigation revealed the boat and motor were stolen from the vessel by 18 year old Fernando Concepcion and 16 year old James Moise. They were assisted in removing the motor by Valle, who then gave the motor to his friend on Big Coppitt Key. The motor was damaged during it's removal from the vessel.

Concepcion and Moise were arrested Tuesday by Detective Llera and charged with grand theft and criminal mischief. Valle was arrested and charged with dealing in stolen property. All three men were booked into jail. The boat and motor were returned to their owner.

November 24, 2008

Two arrested for alcohol, cocaine in city park

Marathon - Two men were arrested Sunday afternoon after deputies saw them drinking alcohol in Marathon City Park.

Deputies Bradford Colen and Jacques Rozek were performing a routine patrol of the park at 12:30 p.m. when they saw 22 year old Robert Anglin of Miami and 20 year old Fernard Anglin of Florida City sitting under a pavilion at the park drinking cans of beer.

The deputies approached and asked the two men if they were aware it was against the law to drink alcohol in the city park. They said they were unaware of that fact. Deputy Rozek then pointed to a sign two feet in diameter that was posted about five feet away from where the Anglin's were sitting which says "No consumption of alcoholic beverages is allowed."

A search of Robert Anglin turned up two small plastic bags with white powder inside which tested positive as cocaine. A search of Fernard Anglin turned up a small plastic bag with white colored rocks inside which also tested positive as cocaine. Both men had approximately $850 in cash between them which was seized. They were both booked at the Monroe County Detention Center, charged with possession of cocaine within a 1000 feet of a park and possession of cocaine with intent to sell.

November 21, 2008

Key West man charged with sexual battery

Key West - A Key West man is in jail, charged with domestic violence, violating an injunction and sexually battering a woman in September.

30 year old Stephen Gibson was already in jail when he was charged with two counts of sexual battery Thursday.

He was arrested originally on September 23rd for violating an injunction for domestic violence after he approached his wife in violation of an injunction order that specified he was to have no contact with her. Then, on October 8th, he was charged with four more counts of violating the injunction for calling her multiple times from jail; at that time he was also charged with domestic battery. He is accused of grabbing his wife by the hair and forcing her to go upstairs during an argument at their home on the Sigsbee Naval Air Station in Key Wes in September.

On November 20th, Gibson was further charged with two counts of sexual battery. He is accused of forcing a woman to have sexual relations with him on two different occasions.

His total bond is set at $275,000.00. Detective Sgt. Patricia Dally investigated the case.

Fleeing driver caught in Florida City

Key Largo - Three people traveling in a car in Key Largo fled from deputies northbound and were caught after hitting a Miami-Dade police car in Florida City Thursday.

The incident began in Key Largo at 3:30 p.m. when Deputy John Perez spotted the black Chevy Lumina southbound at the 100 mile marker. He checked the vehicle's tag and found it belonged on a different vehicle - a gray Chevy pickup truck. The deputy began following the car which abruptly did a U-turn into heavy oncoming northbound traffic. It was too dangerous for the deputy to follow, so he called ahead to Deputy Ryan Cowart, who was at the 105 mile marker.

Deputy Perez turned around when it was safe to do so and proceeded north. He saw the Lumina in the distance driving recklessly northbound. He and Deputy Cowart both got behind the Lumina with their lights and sirens activated. The driver refused to stop and, at the 106 mile marker, the decision was made to call off the pursuit. The Florida Highway Patrol and Miami-Dade Police were notified of the fleeing vehicle. The Florida Highway Patrol continued the pursuit from the 106 mile marker, north to Florida City.

When the Lumina reached Florida City, it collided with a Miami-Dade Police car. The car continued to flee, driving into a residential neighborhood, where it stopped. The three suspects inside jumped out and fled, but were apprehended a short time later. Cocaine was reportedly found in the vehicle.

Deputy Ryan Cowart continued driving north to Florida City to assist. All three suspects were returned to Monroe County to face charges by the Florida Highway Patrol, who took the lead in the case. 36 year old James Lewis, of Homestead, who was driving the car, was charged with hit and run, fleeing and eluding police, driving without a license and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; 23 year old Quinton Davis and 26 year old David Johnson, both of Miami, were charged with possession of cocaine.

November 16, 2008

Teen flees on stolen moped; is apprehended

Big Pine Key - A 16 year old Big Pine Key youth is under arrest for fleeing from deputies on a stolen moped Saturday night.

Deputy Walter Kirchner was on patrol on Big Pine Key at 11:20 p.m. when he spotted a moped on Sands Road. He noted the moped's tail light was not working, so he turned on his lights and siren for a traffic stop. Instead of stopping, the driver of the moped - later identified as Franklin Randleman - accelerated. He turned onto Avenue C, then ditched the moped at Avenue C and 1st Street, fleeing on foot through a residential neighborhood.

The deputy jumped out of his vehicle and pursued Randleman on foot, catching him at Avenue D and Sands Road.

A check on the moped, a 1994 Honda, revealed it was stolen from Key West. A check on Randleman revealed he has no driver's license. Randleman was arrested and charged with fleeing and eluding police, theft of a vehicle, resisting arrest, driving with no license and he was booked at the Monroe County Detention Center.

November 14, 2008

Seminole County man dies diving

Marathon - A Seminole County man diving with his son on a private vessel died this morning.

57 year old James William Hammock of Chuluota, Florida was diving with his 28 year old son west of Thunderbolt Reef offshore of Marathon this morning in about 60 - 80 feet of water when the incident occurred at 9:30 a.m.

His son, also named James, told Detective Natalie Mashburn his father signaled that he was running out of air. They made it to the surface, but he said once there his father indicated he was in distress. A friend of theirs was in their boat. He cut the anchor, and motored to their location.

The two managed to get Hammock in the boat. They called the Coast Guard, then performed rescue breathing on him as they headed to shore. They met the Coast Guard en route to shore and the Coast Guard took over, performing CPR until they pulled in to Captain Hook's Marina.

Paramedics met them at the dock. Hammock was taken to Fishermen's Hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be done by the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office to determine the cause of his death.

November 13, 2008

Teen faces long list of charges

Lower Keys - A 17 year old Summerland Key boy faces a long list of charges after he stole a car, fled from police, then attempted to escape from custody once he was arrested.

The saga began Wednesday when Deputy Manual Cuervo took a report of a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, gray in color with a pink Hibiscus sticker on the back window stolen from a Cudjoe Key residence. Deputy Cuervo was on patrol on Big Pine Key later that day, at 5:30 p.m., when he spotted the car on U.S. One near Sands Road. The deputy called for back up and began following it. The driver, later identified as 17 year old Kenneth Jenison of Summerland Key, began driving erratically. He made numerous turns on residential streets as if attempting to elude the deputy behind him.

Deputy Cuervo finally turned on his lights and siren. Jenison refused to stop, continuing his erratic driving. Jenison finally ran the Tahoe into a mailbox and fence post on Pine Lane, jumping out and running away. When the deputy ordered him to stop he did, raising his hands. As Deputy Cuervo checked the Tahoe to make sure no one else was inside, Jenison took off running through a number of yards and eluding the deputy.

A notice to be on the lookout was issued and Deputy Bradford Colen spotted him walking on Key Deer Road a short time later. When the deputy stopped to apprehend him, Jenison ran, but finally gave himself up a few minutes later. He was taken into custody.

In the stolen Tahoe, Deputy Cuervo found a plastic bag of cocaine, a debit card with Jenison's picture on it and a cell phone belonging to Jenison. Jenison was charged with grand theft, hit and run, resisting arrest, fleeing and eluding police and possession of cocaine.

Jenison was booked at the Monroe County Detention Center on Stock Island. At 2:30 a.m., a Detention Deputy was walking Jenison on foot from the Detention Center to the Department of Juvenile Justice Center next door. Jenison was handcuffed for the transport. He broke away from the deputy and ran, jumping into the water near Sunset Marina. A perimeter was set up and a search was done. Jenison was found running toward the road leading out of the Marina. He was apprehended without further incident. He was further charged with escape and resisting arrest.

November 12, 2008

Woman shot on Stock Island; detectives look for suspect

Stock Island - A woman was shot through her leg in her Stock Island home in the early morning hours today. Detectives say they are looking for the armed suspect and they need the public's help.

The home invasion robbery took place just before 1 a.m. at D38 11th Avenue. The 22 year old victim told Detective Henry Hamilton she walked into her laundry room and found the armed suspect. It is unknown how he got inside the home. He grabbed her, dragged her into her kitchen and ripped a gold chain and Atocha pendant from her neck. She said he pointed his semi-automatic handgun at her head, threatening to kill her. He then shot her through the upper part of her left thigh. He fled the home on foot. Fortunately for the victim, the bullet missed hitting her bone and her artery and exited out the back of her thigh. She managed to go next door and call 911 for help.

She describes the suspect as a black male, possibly in his 20s. He is approximately six feet tall, 180 pounds. He was wearing black pants, a black shirt, black shoes and a gray "hoodie" sweatshirt. He had a black bandana over the lower portion of his face. In addition to the jewelry, he also took her purse with cash inside. 

Deputies responded immediately and a perimeter was set up around the area. A search failed to turn up the suspect, however. The victim was treated at Lower Keys Hospital and released.

Anyone with information about this case should contact Sheriff's Detective Hamilton at 292-7060; callers who wish to remain anonymous can contact Crime Stoppers of the Florida Keys. If a tip leads to an arrest, the tipster would be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000.00. Tips can be called in to the Crime Stoppers hot line at 1-800-346-TIPS or can be securely submitted at

November 8, 2008

Stolen vessel recovered in Mexican waters; two suspects and migrants on board

Florida Keys - A boat, stolen from Plantation Key in October, was reportedly recovered in waters off shore of the Yucatan Peninsula with two suspects and 15 Cuban migrants on board.

The two suspects and the 2008 Hydrosport they stole, valued at $200,000.00, were both returned to the Florida Keys Friday. The boat was stolen from a residence on Stromboli Drive, Plantation Key between October 21 and the 22. It was reported stolen on October 22nd after workers installing a pool at the home noticed it was missing from davits behind the house.

A worker who was plastering the outside of the house at the time of the theft was on the boat when it was recovered by the Coast Guard. 40 year old Sergio Yero of Tavernier reportedly disappeared at about the same time as the boat did. When detectives tried to find him in order to interview him, family members said they did not know where he was, and hadn't seen him for several days. A second Keys man was also found on the boat with Yero. 38 year old Ricardo Espildora of Tavernier was charged with helping Yero to steal the boat.

According to Detective Gustavo Helago, he received a call from the Coast Guard Investigator Paul Shultz on November 4th reporting that the stolen vessel had been recovered in Mexican waters off shore of the Yucatan Peninsula with 15 Cuban migrants on board and two Florida residents - Yero and Espildora.

Both men were arrested Friday and charged with Grand theft. The boat will be returned to it's owner.

Homeless man charged with burglary, criminal mischief

Marathon - A homeless man was arrested Friday night, charged with breaking in to a storage building behind the Fairway Market in Marathon.

Deputies Leon Bourcier and Juan Reyes responded to a possible burglary in progress at 10 p.m. They found 61 year old Gary Mikelonis holding a piece of metal pipe. He had forced open the door of the storage building.

As the deputies ordered Mikelonis to surrender, he instead went inside the building and closed the door, telling the deputies to stay away from him. They were finally able to gain control of Mikelonis and hey took him into custody.

Mikelonis was charged with burglary and criminal mischief and he was booked into jail.

November 2, 2008

Key Largo man charged with pushing girlfriend from balcony

Key Largo - A Key Largo man was arrested Saturday, charged with pushing his girlfriend over a second story balcony.

Sgt. Lyle Agins responded to Mariner's Hospital Saturday afternoon because personnel at the hospital were treating a Key Largo woman for severe injuries they felt were suspicious. They told him she claimed to have fallen down a flight of 15 stairs, but her injuries were reportedly not consistent with the story.

Sgt. Agins met with the victim, 36 year old Antoinette James. She told him she did not fall down stairs, but was pushed over the railing of a second story balcony at her home by her boyfriend, 34 year old Bruce Niloff. The two live together in an apartment on the second story at 106 Canal Street in Key Largo.

She said the two had been drinking in the early morning hours of October 29th. She said they returned home and argued. He pushed her several times, telling her to get out of the apartment. The last time he pushed her, she went over the balcony railing, falling to the ground below. She said he went inside the apartment, closing the door. She crawled to a neighbor's home and he called 911 for assistance.

Sgt. Agins went to 106 Canal Street and met with a friend of the suspect. The friend agreed to make contact with Niloff, and Niloff agreed to talk with the sergeant. He waived his rights, and agreed to talk. He admitted to pushing James over the railing.

Niloff was arrested and charged with felony domestic battery. He was booked into jail.


 Labelled with ICRA